Design Research Methodology - Research Implementation

22.05.2021 - 20.06.2021 (Week 8 - Week 12)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Design Research Methodology - Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Research Implementation








LECTURE

Week 8

(Independent Learning Week - ILW)

Week 9 - 11 

(No lectures)

Week 12

To prepare for our final assignment we were briefed on what needs to be done. Below are the lecture slide and notes.

figure 1.1 Week 12 Lecture Slide

figure 1.2 Week 12 - Lecture Notes




INSTRUCTION

Module Information Booklet

Week 8 

(Independent Learning Week - ILW)

Week 9

We are required to conduct 2 research methods, Qualitative Method and Quantitative Method. Below is my first draft.

figure 1.3 Research Methods - Draft 1

Week 10

This week I started searching for the animations I'll use and I also searched for interviewees, although I couldn't find any in the end. So I changed my qualitative method from interview to visual analysis. 

figure 1.4 Research Methods - Draft 2

After class, I managed to construct my survey questions. Below is my draft 3 including the survey questions.

figure 1.5 Research Methods - Draft 3

Week 11

This week I finalized my research methods and shared my surveys via social platforms. Below is the finalized version of my research methods.

figure 1.6 Research Methods - Final

I started on my visual analysis and below is my visual analysis. 

figure 1.7 Visual Analysis

Week 12

In early week 12, I started on my data analysis from surveys. Below is the analysis I made.

figure 1.8 Data Analysis

The deadline for this task is this week so I constructed my slides for the primary research report.

figure 1.7 Primary Research Report - Submission



FEEDBACK

Week 9 
  • Based on your research, it is better to have interviews with professionals such as the character designer for a certain animation.
  • When you decide on doing an online interview don’t start on plan B first since an online interview is your main. Only start when there is no response from your interviewees
  • For questions, there are no limitations as all the questions are based on how they can support your research.
Week 10
  • You might need to change your proposal if you take out Tang Dynasty and specify what group they are referring to (is it clothing for kids, adults, etc).
  • Seek help from your friend to help you translate your questions into Chinese language
  • When doing visual analysis, you need to have a person/group to help you verify your analysis so the analysis you did is not biased.
  • Some of your questions are biased and need to be changed, the group age needs to be fixed because your survey is to all ranges of age.
Week 11
  • To do data analysis, you need to view as a respondee, not as the one who made the questions so you will be left with much more choices to write and make better data analysis.
  • Be extra critical of qualitative questions in your survey as it can help support your qualitative data.
Week 12
  • Seek more elders to participate, you will find a lot more interesting views from them.


REFLECTION

During the process, I kind of regret that I couldn't speak Chinese, which makes me not able to conduct interviews with Chinese professionals, although I can't find any of them, I'm sure that if I could speak Chinese I could find them. So, that is one thing. What I'm quite surprised by is that I could find a lot of participants for my surveys, I am not really active on social media so this is beyond my expectation. 

Comments

Popular Posts