Design Research Methodology - Critical Review

26.04.2021 - 15.05.2021 (Week 5 - Week 7)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Design Research Methodology - Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Critical Review




Proposal



LECTURE

Week 5

This week marks the new part of this module, which is writing critical reviews. We need to look up 5 articles, compared to our seniors we had it much easier since they needed to do 7 while ours are reduced to 5. Below are the lectures for this week.

figure 1.1 Week 5 Lecture Slide

figure 1.2 Week 5 Further Reading - 1

figure 1.3 Week 5 Further Reading - 2

After understanding what needed to be done, we were told to start on at least 3 critical reviews by next week.

Week 6 

We're still working on critical reviews and for this week we had lectures regarding research strategies, we were given lectures slides from the past semester and also the latest one.

figure 1.4 Week 6 Lecture Slide - Past Semester

figure 1.5 Week 6 Lecture Slide - Lastest

figure 1.6 Further Reading - 1

figure 1.7 Further Reading - 2

Week 7

To prepare for our primary data collection, we were given lectures about it. Below are the materials for this week.

figure 1.8 Week 7 Lecture Slide

figure 1.9 Further Reading - 1

figure 2.1 Further Reading - 2




INSTRUCTION

Module Information Booklet

Week 5 

For this week, we need to search for 5 articles that we want to write critical reviews about, I found a lot of articles that are useful but not many of them can be used for the critical reviews because some of them were thesis.

Week 6

I started with 2 critical reviews this week. Below are my critical reviews.

figure 2.2 Critical Review 1 - First Draft

figure 2.3 Critical Review 2 - First Draft

Week 7

After feedbacks on my critical review 1 and 2 from last week, I revised them and also completed the other 3 critical reviews.


figure 2.4 Critical Review 1 (Revised)

figure 2.5 Critical Review 2 (Revised)

figure 2.6 Critical Review 3

figure 2.7 Critical Review 4

figure 2.8 Critical Review 5

The submission for our critical reviews is extended to next week, but I have already finalized mine. So, below is my critical reviews for submission.

figure 2.9 Critical Reviews - Final Submission



FEEDBACKS

Week 5
  • The choice of design for the slides are very good
  • Put in credits for the images used
  • Tweak the research problem for a bit
  • Refer to APA 7th Edition to cite
  • Push the lecturer’s remark column to the left for a bit
  • Start on at least 3 critical reviews for next week
Week 6
  • You need to understand fully about the article before starting to critic
  • Take notes, highlight the important part. You can also take notes in each part, to add them to your critical review.
  • Be more explicit on the summary, it basically talks about the research objective of the article
  • You can read the references used by the authors and even critic them
Week 7
  • Declare your remark so people won’t confuse you as the author
  • Instead of using the reader as the 3rd point of view, you can use the reviewer because readers won’t be doing critical reviews while reviewers will.
  • There are some grammatical issues such as the punctuations and singular/plural
  • Be more critical of your critical reviews (based on the 1st draft).
  • Pay more attention when you type the numbers in brackets, for example, 4(4) needs to be four (4).



REFLECTION

For this task, we only need to make 5 critical reviews which I am really grateful for because when searching for articles written by scholars, there is not much about the topic I'm currently researching. So, If I had to make 7 just like my seniors, I would have a tougher time searching for articles. I also realized that critical reviews I'm doing are quite different from when I was in high school, I never heard of APA so at first, I was quite confused, luckily there are workshops to help me. I also found an APA generator, which helps me even more! During this task, I also realized that I'm not critical enough and made lots of typos and grammatical issues, so I need to work a lot on that. To be honest, I'm not the kind of person that likes to read, especially when there are no pictures on the content. Therefore, I constantly procrastinate, which is a bad thing to do. However, this assignment made me read a lot and I am quite grateful too because I learned new things regarding my topic.

Comments

Popular Posts