Typography / Project 2B - Expression, Hierarchy, and Composition

20.10.2020 - 24.11.2020 (Week 9 - Week 14)
Jocelin Agustia / 0345436 / BDCM
Typography
Project 2B - 
Expression, Hierarchy, and Composition



LECTURES 

Exercises (Lecture 1 - 5)

Project 1 (Lecture 6)

Project 2A (Lecture 7)



INSTRUCTIONS 



Week 10

For Project 2B we need to make a poster of a quote on design relevance in society. We must use the 10 type families which were provided in the early of the semester and in this poster we need to use all our knowledge to create the design. I searched up a lot of quotes that I want to use and also some inspirations.



figure 1.1 Inspirations from Pinterest

There are a lot of interesting quotes. Some that I like are:
"Design is not some buttons in your photoshop." -Sree Krishanth
"Whitespace is like air: It is necessary for design to breathe." -Wojciech Zielinski
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain
"In design, thinking wrong is right."

I ended up sketching for the 4 of them. But I especially like my design for Whitespace.


figure 1.2 Sketches (26/10/2020)

Since I like the Whitespace quote the best, I made another few sketches.

figure 1.3 Whitespace Sketches (26/10/2020)

For me, I think this quote talks about how every design needs some space to it, so it won't make the design feels like it is choked and complicated. If the design we made has spaces, it will look a lot better. But that doesn't mean space is all to it, some arts such as doodle sometimes don't have space in it but still looks pleasing. Although I must admit, this quote doesn't really have any relevance to society. It doesn't have any impact on society, but I think it does teach people to be looser in terms of design.

figure 1.3  Second Whitespace Sketches (27/10/2020)


figure 1.4 Final Whitespace Sketches (02/11/2020)

Left Sketch: Made the word 'space' with spaced letter 'p' and 'a' to make them have a spaced effect, the sentence 'is like air' and 'the design needs to breathe too' are far from each other because I want to make the word 'Air' to be floating or high up. And since sir Vinod said there was a grammatical issue with the sentences, I used an app to find the mistake and change the sentence.

I asked around and people said that it is better to use the left sketch because it looks simpler while the sketch on the right is hard to be read.

Week 11

figure 1,5 Texturized Poster JPG (02/11/2020)

I added a wall texture to make it look like something painted in a wall, the 'Whitespace' and "Is like Air" are also given effects.

Because of what sir Vinod and sir Shamsul said, I made changes to my poster. I used the displacement filter in photoshop which I've learned from DPI to make the words blend with the wall texture. And as a result, the words have the same lines as the wall, I also used blending modes to help me achieve the wall texture in the words. I also reduced the wall opacity because it was too strong.

figure 1.6 Final Poster JPG (05/11/2020)


figure 1.7 Final Poster PDF (05/11/2020)

Week 12

figure 1.8 Whitespace GIF (07/11/2020)

We need to make an animation for the poster we made, so by using After Effects I added effects to it. The effects I used are called Magnify, Scatter, and CC Line Sweep. Opacity also played a big part in my animation, if the opacity is in 0% the words won't appear first, so I used that to make my GIF appear one by one.  

figure 1.9After Effect Editing (07/11/2020)

After getting feedbacks I changed the emphasize animation from magnifying into a highlighter animation. 

figure 2.1 After Effect 2nd Edit (15/11/2020)

figure 2.1 White Space Final GIF (15/11/2020)



FEEDBACKS

Week 10
Sir Vinod said that I need to work hard on my composition by researching from senior's work or from the link provided in the module, he also said that the whitespace in the 'Whitespace' poster is too much and whitespace could be expressed in a different way.

After making changes, I contacted Sir Vinod through Facebook and he said that now the black space is too much so he told me to try and play around with it again and told me that there are grammatical issues with my sentence. He also told me to not get discouraged. 

Week 11
I was told that I have a nice looking poster. However, I need to make some changes. The wall texture is too strong, make the outlines less consistent, or maybe blend with the background and try to mimic the roughness. Lastly, there is no need to have the outline with texture.
 
Week 12
Sir said that my animation is in line with the layout, although he is not too enthusiastic about the layout. Lastly, I was told to change the animation on the word "needs" because it doesn't look appropriate. 
 


REFLECTIONS

Experience
When we were told to design the poster, I honestly don't know what quote I should use so I searched up a lot of quotes that could relate to society and end up with "Whitespace is like air: It is necessary for design to breathe." by Wojciech Zielinski. I spend a lot of time figuring out how to design this particular quote without using visual elements, I looked at what is 'White Space' and try to apply it to the poster. After several attempts, I was finally satisfied but Sir said I need to work on the composition again and thus I do it again many times. After receiving the feedback that Sir said that it is a nice-looking poster I felt very happy. The animation process for me was hard because I'm still new and don't really know the settings in After Effect, so I searched for many tutorials online and watched them one by one.

Observation
I realized that I made a mistake in my photoshop layers and that caused me to panic, but eventually things worked out in the end. When I first wanted to animate the poster, I didn't know what to animate because I don't find anything appropriate to animate so again, I surfed through the internet and came up with the idea of scattering the word 'space' and emphasizing the word 'need' with a magnifying effect. The magnifying effect took a lot of time to animate.

Findings
This final project actually causes me to be very frustrated, at first I can't find any good ideas for the design, although, in the end, I came up with lots of ideas I find them kind of boring and simple. And after some feedback, I really don't know how to improve anymore so when Sir said it looks nice I was very happy. It also got hard when animating because I got into some sort of problem with my photoshop layers, so I spend a lot of time playing with the settings. I really need to improve on compositions, ideas, and animating. 



FURTHER READING

Vignelli Canon on Design

There are many possibilities to achieve powerful expression. For example in graphic designs, the difference of scale within the page, and the contrast of light and bold creates a big impact. In three dimensional design, manipulating light through different textures and materials gives infinite and effective results. Thus, visual power is, in any event, a subject that deserves big attention to achieve effective design.


Comments

Popular Posts