Illustration and Visual Narrative : Graphic Novel

21.10.2020 - 29.11.2020 (Week 9 - Week 14)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Illustration and Visual Narrative / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 3 - Graphic Novel 



INSTRUCTION/PROPOSAL

figure 1.1 Graphic Novel Brief 

figure 1.2 Graphic Novel Proposal 


Research

figure 1.3 The Remarried Empress 

figure 1.4 Suddenly Became a Princess One Day

figure 1.5 A Good Day to Be a Dog

These 3 are my personal favorite manhwa, I especially like 'Remarried Empress" because of the conflict that happens in the story. Both "Remarried Empress" and "Suddenly Became a Princess" both talked about royalties, which I would use as my Isekai project. "A Good Day to Be a Dog" has a simple art style that I would try to use when completing this project. 

The coloring style is not complicated and it has the soft look. But, for some scenes I would use a 'detailed' coloring style, to make it impactful. So it will be a mixed style, depends on how the story progresses. 

Concept and Logline

Since I like reading webtoons, I will use this method to complete my project. I want this webtoon to have a feel of tragedy, romance, and mystery. I want to portray how difficult it is to make choices especially regarding your loved ones and I want it to not only focuses on romance, so I added heartbreaking and complicated problems because I personally enjoy angsty stories. 

Logline: Monochrome or Colorful? Lover or Home? If you were him, what will you choose?

Narrative

Act 1
Once upon a time, lives a child with big ambitions. Sadly, all his big dreams were crushed. When he was 18, he got into an accident that results in the cerebral cortex of his brain got damaged and that made him suffer from Achromatopsia, total color blindness. Crushed and lost hope.
 
Act 2
One day, when he was in the middle of sleeping, he dreamt of the other world, where he could see colors. Although he was an isolated prince in the dream, as long as he could see colors, he is content. But then, he realized it was just a dream, when he wanted to wake up, it feels as if his soul is stuck and won’t leave this world. Thus, he transmigrated as the poor prince. The color-blind boy didn’t know that this was the beginning of his most tragic life. Everything started when the isolated prince that he resides in must conquer the throne as the next king. Because of that, he went through many conflicts, and because of that too, he found his one and only.

Act 3
Until finally, he found out how to go back to his own world. This 'Dream World' makes him suffer and so does his real world. Although he knows that this was all a dream, at least he could see colors and be with his half. But he also needs to go back, there are many people waiting for him, his family and friends that supported him during the hard times, he couldn’t just abandon them. In the middle of his dilemma, his half told him the truth, that she transmigrated and that she caused the life of a boy to crumble. Which was actually him. Thus, he made the hardest decision. Return.
Note: The 'Dream World' is an existing parallel universe.



figure 1.6 Character Reference

I want the prince in my story to have the same coldness that is radiated from this character named Claude, how he looks so cynical when facing people. But all of that was caused by his past. While the color blind boy will have a fairly close look as Mr. Jin in the manhwa. Both of these characters have a traumatic/complicated past too.

The girl in the story would be based on the OC that I made back in high school because I see that she fits perfectly.

Visual Research

figure 1.7 Main Character's Outfit

The color blind boy in the real world will use casual clothing, that both look cool and neat and reflects his personality. I want to make him look like a bad boy type but with big prospects. 

He still is like that even after the traumatic accident. When he went to the 'Dream World' he uses plain clothes with no jewelry because he is an unwanted child, but after getting acknowledge or during his come out he will slowly change his outfit into more luxury.

figure 1.8 Main Character's Hair

As I mentioned before, the color blind boy in the real world is a bad boy type, so his hair and bangs would be long and look playful. When he became the prince, automatically he will look like the original prince, neat and cool. The hairstyle would be more simple and look more sophisticated. Because the prince was actually a genius but is abandoned

figure 1.9 Female Lead Hair and Outfit

The girl in the story would only appear when the color blind boy enters the 'Dream World', that's why she would use royalty clothing. 

Personalities

figure 2.1 Personalities

In the picture above, it is explained about the main characters' personalities. But I will dig through more here. The color blind boy experienced a lot in his real world, he was often 'used' because of his personality that tends to keep everything to himself, making people arbitrarily use his kindness. Especially after the accident, that is actually very complicated. He developed trust issues with everyone, he knows that his accident is accidental. Thus, he has almost the same personality with the prince.

The girl also has a complicated past, she was threaten to make the 'accident' that fall on the color blind boy real. Although she has a prideful, cheerful, and strong personality, she was actually just acting. It was her personality before the traumatic accident happened, but after that she became low spirited and lives with her guilt until one day transmigrated and thought that she could start a new life.

Why does the accident happen to the color blind boy? It was actually because of his parents mistakes, his parents were good and caring to him but they are greedy. They got involved in debt and couldn't pay, but the color blind boy has big prospects. So the debtor decided to ruin the family by ruining the color blind boy. And the parents knew what would happen to their own child, but still, humans are too greedy.

To make it simple, the color blind boy is a cheerful person even after the accident, although he did change a little because of all the madness (troubles, conflicts, etc.) that happened after that. He is a person that tends to hide his troubles and ended up exploding when he became the prince, which explains why his personality fits the original prince. 

Character Design/Re-Design


figure 2.2 First Character Design


figure 2.3 Second Character Design

figure 2.4 First Panel Sketch

figure 2.5 Second Panel Sketch

figure 2.6 Colored Webtoon

I noticed that I made some mistakes when typing in the conversations so I made some changes. When I asked around, people also said that it is hard to distinguish between who is talking, so I changed the font color. The pink text indicated the princess while the blue color indicates the prince.

Revised parts:
1. Achromatopia -> Achromatopsia
2. No notes -> Notes about Achromatopsia
3. Speech Colors -> Changed into blue and pink


figure 2.7 Final Webtoon

I tried converting the webtoon without slicing but the PDF couldn't be opened when I saved it to my drive, it needs to be downloaded and opened in a third-party app such as Acrobat Reader. I will provide the link below for a better reading experience. 

Monochrome Webtoon Download

The last step is to animate it into a short video. I used after effects because I've been learning it since school started so now I'm a little familiar with it now. Since I made my webtoon directly into 12 pages (800 x 14400 px) I cropped it into 12 pages (800 x 1200 px) and changed the resolution. There are changes in the animation so it would a bit different on how it is displayed in the webtoon.

figure 2.8 After Effect Edit

figure 2.9 Monochrome Animation MP4

I uploaded the animation on Youtube in case the quality is bad here. 

Youtube link: Monochrome Animation



REFLECTION

Experience
While working on this project I experienced many enjoyable things. From the process of sketching to animating, I made a lot of mistakes. But, I managed to fix it although it takes a lot of time. Making a webtoon is pretty fun but now I know the struggles of a webtoon artist. 

Observations
To achieve webtoon-like speeches I ended up reading from a lot of websites regarding what kind of font I should use in certain situations and it really helped a lot, because webtoons don't use the fonts we usually use to write a document and font has a really big impact on how the webtoon will turn out.

Findings
I still made a lot of mistakes and I need to fix that soon. The mistakes I made were very minor but it affects the whole process of animating, because of that I spend a lot of time redoing parts of the webtoon.

Comments

Popular Posts