Game Art - Project 1

28.03.2022 - 03.06.2022 (Week 1 - Week 10)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Game Art - Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1 - Character Development




INSTRUCTIONS

Module Information Booklet

Below are the instructions for project 1.

You are to create your character persona based on your proposed world. Define character crisis, strength, backstory (summarized), culture, class, skins etc. This includes creating its props to further support the characters ecistence. Below are the list of outputs to be produced:
  1. Character Silhouettes - for each character (MC, Minions, Creatures, Boss, etc)
  2. Value Studies
  3. Color Pallettes
  4. Cleanup
  5. Facial Expression Basics
  6. Dynamic pose 3/4
From the first to the second week, I explored the main character's and creature silhouettes and also the main character's weapon. Below are the silhouettes I made.

figure 1.1 Weapon Silhouettes

figure 1.2 Creature Silhouttes

figure 1.3 Main Character Silhouettes

After receiving feedback, I decided to create more silhouettes of the main character and also started sketching for the 2nd character.

figure 1.4 Main Character Silhouettes (2)

figure 1.4 Main Character Silhouettes (2) - Outline

figure 1.5 Second Character Silhouettes

figure 1.6 Second Character Outline

The designs for the main character weren't approved yet, So I had to make changes again, then I also proceeded with improving my design of the second character.


figure 1.7 Improved Sketch

Below is the improved design for my male character. After this, I proceeded to finalize all my characters and give them colors.

figure 1.8 Further Improved Main Character


figure 1.9 Left - Final Male Character (Not Fixed) | Right - Final Male Character (Fixed)


figure 2.1 Left - Final Creature (Not Fixed) | Right - Final Creature (Fixed)

figure 2.2 Final Female Character

After coloring and fixing the anatomies I finally finished my character development. Below is the final result.

figure 2.3 Final Compilation



FEEDBACK

Week 5
  1. Need to lay out information about the characters
  2. Body build is similar to what is done back in semester 3, try going out of your comfort zone
  3. Exaggerating shapes is allowed, however, the hat shapes for the male in number 3 and 4 is a no-go. (figure 1.4)
  4. Continue to improve the female character
Week 8
  1. The male character doesn't have enough cunningness
  2. Need to alter the male character's hair, dress coat, and body shape
  3. The female character is fine
  4. Exaggerate the creature design
Week 10 - 11
  1. The six-pack on the male character needs to be altered, check on the foreshortening. To do that, you can draw a midline (S curve) for the body gesture on a separate layer to identify your mistake, the same thing goes for the creature.


REFLECTION

The amount of workload is.. overwhelming, however, I do enjoy finishing up my characters. I still have a long way to go, but I must say I could see changes in my coloring style. I also feel relieved that Sir Kannan told me to go out of my comfort zone, I have been stuck with the same body types for ages, and although it takes a lot of work I managed to go out of my comfort zone.



Comments

Popular Posts