Vehicle and Props Design - Fundamentals

23.8.2021 - 08.11.2021 (Week 1 - Week 7)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Vehicle and Props Design - Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Fundamentals




INSTRUCTION


Module Information Booklet

Week 1 - Week 7

Vehicle and props design is our first class of the semester, and during the class, we were briefed regarding our first tasks and what is to be expected by the end of the semester. Below are the instructions for our exercises.

You are to practice and showcase a thorough understanding of creating vehicle and props design via a series of continuous exercises given. You are to pick and draw 3 types of vehicles designed for either land, air, or water. Here you will be exercising fundamentals as listed below:

  1. Deconstructing and constructing vehicles from references ( 5 x 3types = 15 thumbnail sketches) 
  2. Form and Function ( Pick 1 type X 10 thumbnails)
  3. Perspective (Pick 1 type X 5 sketches min )
  4. Line Weight ( Pick 1 and add line weights to the perspective drawing done)
  5. Applying Colors ( Pick 1 and apply varieties to obtain appealing colors)
  6. Texturing (pick 1 and test with materials and texture bashing)
In order to deconstruct, we needed to have a lot of practice, and below are vehicles reference I found for studies and the results. 

figure 1.1 Vehicle Reference - 01

figure 1.2 Vehicle 01 - Deconstruct (1)



figure 1.3 Vehicle 01 - Deconstruct (2)


figure 1.4 Vehicle Reference - 02

figure 1.5 Vehicle 02 - Deconstruct

We were also recommended to study from real-life objects, and below are some studies I did. The first one I did was by following a video guide on Youtube on how to deconstruct.

figure 1.6 Youtube Video Drawing Basics - Construction

figure 1.7 Youtube Demo Deconstruct

Since I am still starting, I first started with simple objects and then tried to use a more complex object.

figure 1.8 Real-life Object 01 - Deconstruct


figure 1.9 Real-life Object 02 - Deconstruct

figure 2.1 Real-life Object 03 - Deconstruct

I also tried to give colors for the stapler as a part of my own coloring study during my free time.

figure 2.2 Real-life Object 03 - Colored

I combined project 1 into part of my studies of deconstructing and applying colors and textures.

figure 2.3 Water Vehicle - Deconstruct

figure 2.4 Land Vehicle - Deconstruct

figure 2.5 Applying Colors

figure 2.6 Applying Texture

Below are the compilations.

figure 2.7 Exercises - Compilation



REFLECTION

Perspective has been my enemy since I first started drawing, and this is my first time learning perspective in this manner. I even never thought of deconstructing objects until now and this actually helps a lot, although I still struggle with drawing circles in perspective. There are lots of tutorials I have watched in order to draw a circle in the right perspective but I somehow still can't grasp how it works so I still need to work harder on that. Although my perspective is not completely right yet, I am glad that at least I have improved since my high school days (in my opinion). During this assignment and all the lectures given, I also learned the importance of texture, and it is amazing that adding textures will give a real feeling to the object.

Comments

Popular Posts