Design Research Dissertation - Visual Design Publication

10.10.2021 - 05.12.2021 (Week 7 - Week 15)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Design Research Dissertation - Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Visual Design Publication




INSTRUCTION

Module Information Booklet

Week 8 

(Independent Learning Week)

Our next task is to create a visual design to publish our dissertation into an e-book and we are going to use fliphtml5.com to convert our design. Before going directly into the design process we were briefed regarding this task and is assigned to make a mood board and below are the reading materials and my mood board.

figure 1.1 Week 7 Slides

Dr. Hayati encouraged us to create the mood board first so we could finish the task faster. I actually finished my mood board on week 7 but they were done after class so I couldn't show. Below is my finished mood board.

figure 1.2 Moodboard

Week 9 - Week 10

On week 9, Dr. Hayati was feeling unwell and had a medical leave for a while, thus there is no class for the week,  but we still had to continue on our own so I decided to create the cover book.

figure 1.3 Cover Design - 01

However, in week 10 the one who felt unwell is me so I had to pardon myself from the class and I didn't progress that much only making another cover for comparison.

figure 1.4 Cover Design - 02


Week 11 - 13

During these weeks I showed my progression of the design process with Dr. Hayati, and after some revision with the feedbacks given, I finally completed my visual design publication on week 13. Below is the finished product.

figure 1.5 Visual Design Publication





FEEDBACK

Week 8 - 9 

(No class)

Week 10 

(Absent with permission)

Week 11 
  • The choice of color is good
  • the dragon pattern, in the beginning, makes it seems like only the dragon represents the culture, try finding other patterns.
  • Try finding other fonts that relate to Chinese culture and try playing around with the title
  • The first design doesn’t really reflect your color palette.
Week 12
  • The table of content looks crowded with that kind of arrangement.
  • The flower pattern looks cropped, remember that we are designing in spreads so try to extend it or rotate it slightly so it doesn’t seem cropped.



REFLECTION

The first time I heard that we were going to create an e-book made me very excited for this assignment, however, I didn't expect it to be this tough. It was actually pretty hard thinking of the suitable design for my theme as I want to make it look elegant to show off the Chinese cultural patterns persona. In reality, searching for high-quality images on Chinese patterns and others was quite hard since most of them have watermarks on them. Although, the hardest part was to get back and get used to InDesign because I haven't touched this program for a while now, so I had to get used to it. I had fun during the process, although what I didn't expect the most is that making the cover for this is very hard, I had multiple trials, gladly I could make the one I found more suitable. There are a lot of searches for references at this stage, overall, this assignment made me reminisce the times during my first and second semesters on typography and I am glad I could finish it and I must say that I am quite satisfied with the result. 

Comments

Popular Posts