Character Design - Character Design Development

23.09.2021 - 04.11.2021 (Week 6 - Week 11)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Character Design - Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Character Design Development




INSTRUCTION

Module Information Booklet

This assignment require us to have our poses sketches and for that we had several exercises for anatomy lesson and below are my sketches for the exercise.

figure 1.1 Anatomy Study - 01

figure 1.2 Anatomy Study - 02

figure 1.3 Anatomy Study - 03

figure 1.4 Anatomy Study - 04

figure 1.5 Anatomy Study - 05

After the anatomy study, I proceeded with my character's pose.

figure 1.6 10 Pose Sketches

figure 1.7 3 Detailed Skecthes

I decided to go with the 3rd pose in from the detailed sketches however, after some feedbacks I made new poses and for these new poses I used several references to mix and match.





figure 1.8 Character Pose Reference

From the references above I managed to create 5 new poses for my character.

figure 1.9 More Pose Sketches

After the feedback session, I decided to use the 3rd pose as my final pose. Next is to do expression study for my character.

figure 2.1 Expression Study

As for my character's attire, it is still the same as the one I did for the first assignment, there were only changes for to his fan and I also designed his hairpin. 

figure 2.2 Hair Pin and Fan Design

We are also required to create a transform/skin for our character and I decided to base off my character with Genshin Impact's new region, Sumeru, which is rumoured to be a region based on Egypt. Below are my references and the designs I made.

figure 2.3 Transform Attire References



figure 2.4 Transform Attire References - Patterns

figure 2.3 Transform Attire Design

After deciding on the final poses and transform attires, I proceeded to add colors to my character and below is the result.

figure 2.4 Original Attire - Color Scheme

figure 2.5 Transform Attire - Color Scheme

figure 2.6 Weapons and Hair Pin - Color Scheme

Below is the final compilation for this task.

figure 2.7 Final Compilation



FEEDBACK

Anatomy Study
  • Looks stiff, try using different brush to create different feel
  • There are improvements, you can now see that the poses feels a lot more natural
Poses Sketches
  • The first pose (figure 1.7) looks stiff and the way you draw his hands looks as if he's ready to slap so try looking at Chinese fan dance, a lot of the references for Chinese fan dance will be associated with feminine feel so masculine him up
  • You can also try to look at Kung Fu/Shao Lin for the pose
Expression Study
  • The Expression is nice, but for expression number 2 the jaw needs to be fixed so it feels more natural because he is opening his mouth.
Weapon and Hairpin Design
  • Nice design, the pipe reminds people of Beidou
Transform Attire
  • Nice design, it has story now



REFLECTION

Just like my struggle in the first assignment I also have the same problem here, which is the poses. I realized that my skill anatomy is really lacking, so I'm really glad that there were exercises for the anatomy study and with that I understood a lot better. The part where I had fun the most was when designing my character's transform attire, it was really enjoyable because I have also wanted to create a character based on Egypt.

Comments

Popular Posts