Character Design - Personification

24.08.2021 - 23.09.2021 (Week 1 - Week 5)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Design Research Dissertation - Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Personification





INSTRUCTION

Module Information Booklet

On the first day of the class, we were briefed on our assignments for this semester and we are going to create an original character that will then be used as a part of our Anatomy class too. We have a lot of themes to pick since we are tasked to pick from an existing narrative and I immediately chose to use Genshin Impact as my narrative. 

figure 1.1 Week 1 Material

Based on the material given, I created the world-building for my character, and below are the image references as well as my character's world-building.



figure 1.2 World-Building Image References


figure 1.3 World-Building

The character I will be creating will be based on Ancient China and since it is based on Genshin Impact, there will be some fantasy and modern feel to my character, I also decided on my character's name which I name as Rongguang meaning glory. Below is the story background I created for my character and also his ability.



figure 1.4 Character Background Story


figure 1.5 Character Ability


Next we have to create 10 thumbnail silhouette sketches, 5 progressive silhouette sketches, and lastly, 1 detailed silhouette (B&W) for our character and below are my sketches.



figure 1.6 10 Silhoutte Sketches


figure 1.7 Progressive Silhouttes_Draft

For the progressive silhouttes, I chose 7 from the silhouette sketches before (figure 1.7) which then I selected 6 of them to turn them into more detailed (figure 1.8).

figure 1.8 Progressive Silhouttes

Before moving on to the detailed sketch, I made several design for the attire my character will wear and also his weapons.

figure 1.9 Costume and Weapon Design

After the feedback session, the second design waa chosen so I proceeded with the detail sketch.

figure 2.1 Detailed Sketch

The next task to do is to create a turnaround study of our character. Before that, we had an exercise done during our class for the anatomy.

figure 2.2 Anatomy Study in Class

Based on figure 2.2 I proceeded with the 3/4 view and side view.

figure 2.3 Turnaround_Draft

After the feedback, I fixed the turn around by using 9 heads and below is the result. During this time I also changed his hairstyle.



figure 2.4 Hair Variation

figure 2.5 Final Turn-Around

Below is the final compilation for this assignment.

figure 2.6 Final Compilation



FEEDBACKS

Week 3
  1. Pay attention to balance
  2. Give numbers to your sketches
  3. Explore more, try looking at Zhongli, Childe, Ninguang, Beidou etc. They have a very detailed motif on the torso but on the lower part it is not detailed.
  4. Try changing the hair and robe length for more variety.
  5. Make sure to put in pyro elements on the costume and put their visions 
  6. Try explore more motifs for the clothes and makes sure the pyro elements are more visible
  7. Rongguang's vision should be bigger
  8. Work on your proportion
Week 4 
  1. Make more progressive silhouttes
  2. Need more clothing exploration
Week 5 
  1. Explore more on the character's robes and hairs and add another head (8 in total)
  2. Like the scales on the robe
  3. The hair style doesn't fit him so explore more
  4. (Discord PM) I think he looks better with high ponytail like design 1
  5. Add another head (9 heads), right now his legs looks short


REFLECTION

During this assignment, I struggled a lot with the silhouette for my character, we had to make several of them. At first I thought it will be a simple task, but as I started, it feels harder than I thought because by doing silhouttes we also have to understand anatomy to create a believable character. There are also  a lot of changes for my character, especially for his hairstyle, but overall I had fun creating the design for my character.


Comments

Popular Posts