Digital Photography: Project 2A - Self Titled

28.9.2020 - 12.10.2020 (Week 6 - Week 8)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Digital Photography and Imaging / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 2A - Self Titled




LECTURE

Dynamic Compositions

To create a dynamic composition we could make use of Contrast, by utilizing contrast we will be able to control and define hierarchy, movement, and meaning.

figure 1.1 Left: Nature as Subject, Right: Man as Subject 

1. Identify your subject through scale and value. 

figure 1.2 Left: No Hierarchy, Right: Shows Hierarchy

2. Establish hierarchy by adding contrast between the elements.

figure 1.3 Left: Nothing Stand Out, Right: Emphasizing The Word 'Contrast'

3. Drastically increase the contrast.

figure 1.4 Left: No Meaning. Middle: Wolf as A Predator, Right: Wolf Lurking Behind

4. Give meaning by changing the scale and contrast.

figure 1.5 Create Clockwise Motion

5. Create motion by adjusting the weight and size of your subjects.


INSTRUCTION

figure 2.1 Sketch (04/10/2020)

figure 2.2 Self-Portrait (04/10/2020)

Some elements I use for this project and there are some that is not used fully rather I cut them out.

figure 2.2 Elements

figure 2.3 Left: Thai Tea, Right: Lemon Tea

figure 2.4 50% Progress (04/10/2020)

Because my background is white, I could easily cut my self out and scale it. The original teapot is in white and I wanted it to look magical so I masked out the Leo picture I found on the internet and used the pinch filter then apply it to the teapot. And I have moon coming out from it, put some glow by using screen and gaussian blur. The water falling down were hand-drawn by me in an app called Procreate and I used the brushes I photoshop to add the bubbly effect. Eraser tool was used for the cloud background, I set the eraser as a leaf brush. Other elements were achieved either by normal blending mode or others. For typography, I feel like using washi tapes so I searched online, cut it out and place texts I found online.

figure 2.5 New Elements Added (05/10/2020)

When fixing my work, I found other ideas after looking for inspirations.

figure 2.6 80% Progress

After the feedbacks, I added other elements and use more blending modes. I also masked out the Nike logo in my clothes, but I decided not to put anything on my clothes because it looks weird. Then, I want to cut my body and make my body looks like its is made from lemons and thus I made them kind of transparent, like see through, and added a spine. Also, added more glow.

figure 2.7 Final Work (10/10/2020)

I forgot that I need to scale up the image, so I this is the result after scaling them. I made some adjustments to it. The changes could be seen in the bloating out juice, they are more orange in color, and the length of the juice out from the lid, it is shorter so we could see them better.



FEEDBACK

Sir Fauzi said that I should scale my picture bigger and mask out the Nike logo in my clothes to gain more points, I should write out what I did. He also told me to look at inspirations and play more with the blending modes.


REFLECTION
Experience
I had a lot of fun doing this project, as Sir said this project is for ourselves not for the sake of grades. It is very satisfying when I put all my favorite things into one picture and how the blending modes could make everything look different.

Observation
All this time I liked to put lots of things to my work making them look complicated, but simple is better. So this time I try not to put lots of stuff, hope I did not exaggerate the elements I used.

Findings
I need to be more sure of the layers I used, it cause some problem when I wanted to scale the main picture so I need to redo them one by one and it took a lot of time.

Comments

Popular Posts