Illustration and Visual Narrative: Project 1A Vector Challenge

26.08.2020 - 11.09.2020 (Week 1 - Week 3)
Jocelin Agustia (0345436)
Illustration and Visual Narrative / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1A




Vector Challenge

Vector Challenge Instructions
 
We were given 3 weeks to complete the vector challenge task. For this task, we are required to use the shapes that were given. The shapes cannot be free transformed, but we can do anything else to it like duplicate, scale, join, subtract, and etc.

figure 1.1 Shapes that are required to use

Before sketching I browse online for inspirations, I mostly searched for mythical animals. Most of them are fire elements animals.


figure 1.2 Inspirations 


figure 1.3 Scanned Sketches (08/09/2020)

figure 1.4 First character design (08/09/2020)

figure 1.5 Second character design (08/09/2020)

figure 1.6 Third character design (09/09/2020)

figure 1.7 Final character design (09/09/2020)

figure 1.8 The result (09/09/2020)


Finally, I chose the final design as my submission because I think the other 3 looks too simple. I can't seem to figure what kind of story and background I should make for them. Then, I searched online for the trading card template. After that, I continued to design the background.

figure 1.9 Trading card background (09/09/2020)

I made the scenery as if my character is in the moon because when designing the character I also thought of UFO.

figure 2.1 Trading card (09/09/2020)

figure 2.2 Final of character design and trading card (09/09/2020)



REFLECTION

Experience
I'm not really that accustomed with Adobe Illustrator at first so I had struggles while doing this project, the designs I made are quite simple but it actually takes a lot of time to turn it into vector.

Observations
When I was in the middle of designing my character I realized that I need a theme to proceed with what kind of character I want to create so I use Nightmare as the them for my final character design.

Findings
Although it is hard, but I find making my own character pretty fun to do, I have never had a chance to create my own cartoon character so it is an interesting experience.

Comments

Popular Posts